Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week runs until Thursday, and gives Iroquois Falls fire prevention officer Tyler Mongeon a chance to remind you of the importance of having a CO detector in your home.

 “If you’ve got a home where you have a fuel-burning appliance, such as a natural gas furnace or propane furnace, or if you have an attached garage, it’s the law that you’re required to have a working carbon monoxide alarm outside your sleeping areas,” he says.

So if you have bedrooms on the ground floor and in the basement, you need an alarm on both levels.

And Mongeon says not to just put it up and forget it.

“You want to make sure that you’re testing them on a monthly basis and that the batteries are being replaced minimum once every six months.”

Mongeon’s further advice is to change the batteries in carbon monoxide and smoke detectors… every time we switch between standard and daylight saving time.

Carbon monoxide is an odourless, invisible poisonous gas that can be fatal, and is often called “the silent killer”.