Cochrane will be celebrating First Nations culture this week.
On Thursday the Ininew Friendship Centre will be hosting National Indigenous Peoples Day celebrations. The centre says this day recognizes the culture and allows everyone to learn more about traditional ceremonies, arts and games. It says it’s important for everyone to understand why Indigenous people do what they do so everyone can work together.
This year’s celebration will feature:
- A sunrise ceremony at 5:00am
- Sunrise breakfast from 7:00am to 9:00am
- Dreamcatcher and fish pond from 10:00am to 12:00pm
- History of recognized Indigenous people all day
- Barbecue lunch at Metis Nation of Ontario at 12:00pm
- Story telling 1:00pm to 1:30pm
- Goose and moose calling contest at 2:00pm
- Facepainting all day
- Youth art at 2:00pm
- Medicine pouch making 10:00am to 1:00pm
- Bannock on a stick at 2:00pm
- Activity booklet and temporary tattoos all day
- Friendship bracelets 1:00pm to 4:00pm
- Arts and crafts vendor table all day
Everyone is welcome to this free event. Click here for more information.